Sunday, July 15, 2007

Critical Incident (but not forever) Lance's Story

He was tall, awkward… almost 5’10’’ and in 6th grade. Grace was only something amazing he sang about in church. It was as if his body grew two feet overnight and he brain was still under the impression that he was a tiny boy. In class, Lance would raise his hand and smack the head of the child sitting in front of him. He dropped his pencils, fell out of his chair, ripped a hole in his paper erasing a stray mark. In the halls, Lance literally walked a crooked line, his legs very rarely following his torso. His backpack littered its contents all throughout the school as he made his way through his day.

Oh, but he was disorganized too! Lance’s locker contained more mysterious contents than Area 51, and probably twice as many biohazards. Imagine if you will cramming all of your books into your one foot by two and a half feet locker. Now, add some gym clothes, preferably the ones in desperate need of laundering. Next, jam in two or three partially-eaten lunches. Finally, and this step takes awhile, take every paper and assignment ever given to you by your teachers over the course of the school year, you know the ones you never turned in, the ones that your mother got a call about, and shove them in all remaining crannies in your locker. This was Lance’s locker.

After school one day, I was making my rounds: check my mailbox in the office, stop by to reserve the library, visit with my teacher friend Christie… the usual Thursday afternoon routine.

Walking back to my classroom, my last stop before retreating home for the evening, I came upon a parent and child in the otherwise cavernous hallway. Lance and his mother stood amid a minefield of papers, books, clothing, pencils, pens, and broken crayons. Over and over, he reached into his locker to pull out an item from his hoard. The cleaning was systematic. Lance placed things meant to be saved on the floor while trash went in the garbage bag his mother held open in her outstretched hands. Despite his grand size, he looked small, cowering under his mother’s disapproving gaze. His hunched shoulders signaled defeat. His mother lorded over him, letting out sigh after exasperated sigh as he deconstructed the malaise in his locker.

By chance, or perhaps by habit, Lance happened to look up. His almond brown eyes met my pitying countenances. At that moment we had a conversation without saying a word.

“Yep, this is my locker,” Lance said with eyes that feigned shame.

“Oh my GAWD!” my wide eyes said.

“I know, can’t help it. Do n’t want to. This is me now.” Lance’s smiling eyes responded.

My eyes met his smile. “Don’t change a thing,” they directed.

I loved him for his awkward bravado. I encouraged his tangential conversation. I accepted Lance… as no other teacher had before. And, I saw more growth in Lance than any other teacher had before. It taught me a powerful lesson. Don’t try to change your students. Accept their eccentricities and encourage their individuality. Know that a certain lack of coordination goes along with growing up. Give students a place where they feel safe and accepted, and they will calm down enough to give you their best.

5 comments:

Jolyn said...

In your recounting of this awkward moment, I felt as if I could have been standing there too. In only a couple of places do I offer my suggestions for a look at conventions. In the third sentence, change he brain to his brain. Also, in the sentence with Area 51, I would not place a comma after Area 51 unless this is a compound sentence.
Thank you for sharing this tale.
Jolyn

pat huster said...

I can see Lance vividly from your description. Great description of his locker and all the 'stuff' around it. Your have a clear beginning, middle and end to your narrative. I'm glad ther was no conversation with Lance's mom as that would have detracted from your ending that showed your total acceptance of Lance as an idividual.

teach to inspire said...

CLARITY AND ORGANIZATION

Leslie, I believe your story makes sense and the problem is well developed.

Likewise, your ending ties well wit the problem presented. Despite of Lance's goofiness. He was who he was and it's not our job to change their being, but to guide them along the way. They must make the choices for it's their journey in life.

Cleary organized!

Rays of Light said...

Leslie,

Very interesting and descriptive. We get them in all shapes and sizes, so we can't discriminate. I was right there with you as you did your Thursday routine.

You have some sentences where you have words that you might have thought you deleted. I'm pretty sure that when you go over your piece again, you'll pick it up. Good job!

Rays of Light said...

Pat,

I love the way you personified your books, and that acro. "RICH", I think I'll be using this in my class.

You write like a pro. Conventions are fine.

Thanks for sharing this; we all have some that really touch our hearts.
Lourdes